Author Topic: Fenruary 2015 Meeting notice  (Read 1724 times)

geoff

Fenruary 2015 Meeting notice
« on: February 08, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »
     The February Meeting of the S Tyneside Branch will take place at 7.30pm on Wednesday February18th, in the usual place - the Visitor Centre of St Hilda's parish church, adjacent to South Shields Market Place.

Our speaker will be Dr Douglas Burdon, on "The Durham Wills Project".  Given that Durham University have done a lot of work on the pre-1858 probate documents in their care, plus they have allowed the LDS to put on-line first a detailed list of them, followed by facsimiles, plus a few years ago the NDFHS published five volumes containing ALL the names mentioned in Wills proved at Durham 1787-1803, plus an interest from the Surtees Society which began in the mid-19th century and is still active today, this new project of the Society's, run by Dr Burdon, should be very useful, if only to clear the waters as to what can now be found where!

In case anyone thinks "My family had nothing to leave, so there won't be anything for me in the Wills", I should mention that at the time of the last NDFHS project we estimated that of all those who legally could leave a Will, roughly 11% actually did so.  That is a much higher proportion then anyone had expected, so when we add in the chances of absolutely anyone having been mentioned in someone else's Will, even if only as the occupier of the testator's property, we all could have valuable information just waiting to be discovered in Durham University's Probate Records.